From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" of packages
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:06:42
1 On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 11:23, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > I think that is the wrong assumption...
3 >
4 > "optimization settings" == compile-time flags, processor setting
5 > "built-time functionality" == libraries, optional modules, gtk vs kde, etc.
6 >
7 > Larry's complaint above pertains to things he can't change after the
8 > installation of a package. Binary-only distros provide you with a
9 > package that is customized with a set of static configure options,
10 > compiled with a set of flags, and linked against libraries that are not
11 > left to the choosing of the user. That is the problem that Portage
12 > solves by building packages on the user's machine, with USE-flags to
13 > guide the build process.
14 >
15 > On the other hand, what you're talking about is run-time functionality.
16 > In general, the changes in the ebuilds modify run-time configuration.
17 > It's not the appropriate place for a USE-flag (in most circumstances)
18 > and furthermore, it's not hard for savvy users to change to their
19 > preferred configuration. In Gentoo, it has always been up to the
20 > discretion of the responsible devs to choose what default configuration
21 > they feel is appropriate for each individual package.
22
23 I couldn't agree more. I don't have any problem with having to click
24 the mouse a few times to change the default theme (using gdm as an
25 example) away from a Gentoo custom one. I would have a problem with
26 functionality being removed completely by default and having to edit an
27 ebuild or patch manually to re-implement the functionality.
28
29 Adding pretty Gentoo backgrounds/themes is completely different from,
30 say, ripping out the entire Gnome/KDE menu systems and building our own
31 from scratch. The former I see no problem with at all. The latter is
32 depriving our users of choice and their freedom to have a system the way
33 they wish, which I feel is opposed to the Gentoo way of doing things
34 which we all have come to love.
37 Chris Gianelloni
38 Developer, Gentoo Linux
39 Games Team