From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:52:20
1 On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:41:47 +0200
2 Michael Krelin <gentoodoo@××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > It depends upon the degree to which one specifies 'sendmail
4 > > compatibility'. Does it mean "shares some of the same commandline
5 > > options" or "shares exactly the same configuration file format and
6 > > all bugs and produces identical output"?
7 >
8 > I think Mike mentioned compatiblebinaries. Not sure if he implied
9 > identical output, but compatible command line would be nice. I don't
10 > think it's a huge obstacle for paludis, though.
11
12 If it's just an issue of command line, then it's not an issue at all.
13 Even configuration support isn't a major problem (Paludis trunk has
14 highly experimental and highly buggy partial Portage config reading
15 support). The question is whether scripts that, say, parse emerge -pv
16 output have to carry on working.
19 Ciaran McCreesh