From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] paper on oss-qm project
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 02:40:21
1 * Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > > what problems do you see w/ licensing ?
6 > >
7 > > IMHO, each branch simply has to follow the upstream's license.
8 >
9 > i have yet to see easy cases with licensing.
10 > i haven't thought about it in detail yet, tough, to be honest.
11
12 well, let's just see if the first realworld case happens and then
13 think about it ;-p
14
15 > > simply normalize: don't use letters but numbers.
16 >
17 > i don't believe in simple normalization before i have seen it.
18
19 well, the right normalization scheme always depends on the upstream's
20 versioning scheme. most packages already have some consistent scheme,
21 which can be mapped directly. the few really complicated cases
22 (actually don't have any at the tip of my head right now) have
23 to be done manually. remember that we only take stable releases,
24 since we're in the dist maintainer role - not the upstream dev one
25 (so, alpha's etc dont matter here)
26
27 > > b) it's not really a release but just a development snapshot -
28 > > that doesnt belong into the main oss-qm repository
29 >
30 > why doesn't it belong in there?
31
32 because it's not ready to use. that's the primary distinction:
33 snapshots are for devs (and maybe testers), not for production use.
34
35 > > I've chosen that scheme to make the borders more clear (also for
36 > > automatic filtering, etc). In my concept, the vendor is the major
37 > > point of distinction, package comes at second, ...
38 >
39 > i guess we agree to disagree then.
40 > i don't think the current scheme promotes cooperation well.
41
42 why exactly ?
43
44 BTW: if you dont like that scheme, you could add some filter for
45 automatically rewrites the refnames ;-p
46
47 > > Well, the term vendor here is defined as a party which provides
48 > > packages in certain variants. "UPSTREAM" is a kind of meta vendor,
49 > > describing the upstreams. "Vendor" is IMHO more generic, since there
50 > > may be vendors who aren't actually a real distro. For example, I
51 > > myself don't publish a complete distro, but a foundation for clean
52 > > building especially for special embedded devices or appliances.
53 >
54 > yes, that's why i proposed "downstream" as a replacement.
55 > you don't consider yourself downstream?
56
57 *I* am downstream, right. But the "UPSTREAM"+* branches are what's
58 coming from the upstream. Upstream's a special kind of (meta-)vendor,
59 where everybody else (downstreams) forkes from.
60
61 > > Yes, that's still an open topic. I've chosen to use one big repo
62 > > for easier maintenance, but I'm aware of the problem that the
63 > > repo might become very fat some day.
64 >
65 > my point is not about size, only about "users".
66
67 In which way does my current approach make trouble here ?
68 What would be the better approach ?
69
70 > > I see two options:
71 > >
72 > > a) split it off into several ones, eg. on per-package basis
73 > > and create a system for (semi-)automatic mass-repo maintenance
74 > > (not completely trivial when using free git hosters as mirrors)
75 >
76 > are you aware that splitting it up will reduce the savings in space?
77 > say if they all had byte-identical GPLv3 COPYING files that would be one
78 > blob atm and N blobs in split mode.
79
80 Right, that's the tradeoff here. But the few COPYING files shouldnt be
81 the big issue ...
82
83 > > b) add an selective filtering system. AFIAK current stable git
84 > > doesnt provide that yet - I've added an little patch for that:
85 > > http://repo.or.cz/w/oss-qm-packages.git/shortlog/refs/heads/METUX.git.master
86 >
87 > while i'm not sure about this in detail yet, could it be this loop
88 > misses to filter the very first entry?
89 >
90 > + while (walk && (walk->next))
91 > + {
92 > + if (_filter_remote_ref(transport, walk->next))
93 > + walk->next = walk->next->next;
94 > + else
95 > + walk = walk->next;
96 > + }
97 > +
98
99 you missed the previous lines ;-P
100
101 + while ((transport->remote_refs) && (_filter_remote_ref(transport, transport->remote_refs)))
102 + transport->remote_refs = transport->remote_refs->next;
103 +
104
105 cu
106 --
108 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
110 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
111 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
112 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
113 http://patches.metux.de/