From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Usages of CVS $Header$ keyword in ebuilds - use cases wanted
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:38:07
1 On 27-08-2008 10:28:57 -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 06:35:57PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > For that reason I'd pretty much prefer to keep the CVS Header in place,
4 > > unless there is a very good reason to remove it.
5 > As I wrote in the other thread, my reason for asking is that it's one of
6 > the things that doesn't have clear mapping in the Git world. As a side
7 > benefit, getting rid of it also makes the double-commit mess go away.
8
9 For who is it a mess? Not for repoman users, I suppose, and everyone
10 should be using it, right? As the one who personally played with the
11 code in repoman that determines whether or not the "double commit" is
12 necessary, I think it's mostly a repoman internal problem. The commit
13 script problems put aside.
14
15 > For your use case, it should be possible to just ask Git for updates to
16 > the given directory, and apply those to your own tree.
17
18 Another VCS is another story. If we're switching, it would be nice if
19 the notion of overlays shadowing the main tree would be taken into
20 account. Especially since I don't think Prefix will "merge" any time
21 soon, but we are plagued by the thing called "growth".
25 Fabian Groffen
26 Gentoo on a different level