From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Adding Nipper license to the tree
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 02:04:45
1 "Tony \"Chainsaw\" Vroon" <chainsaw@g.o> posted
2 1245111501.11818.5.camel@localhost, excerpted below, on Tue, 16 Jun 2009
3 01:18:21 +0100:
4
5 > On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 00:58 +0100, Mike Auty wrote:
6 >> So I'll leave the source version out of the tree, but I'd like thoughts
7 >> on using RPM as a solution? Also I don't know whether an exception
8 >> could be made for Gentoo, but equally I don't know how to phrase one of
9 >> them either (Gentoo Foundation or all Gentoo developers), so I'm
10 >> hesitant to ask. If anyone has any other ideas or possibilities, do
11 >> let me know. Thanks...
12 >
13 > Drop it from the tree entirely. Leave it to them to provide ebuilds.
14 > Obviously they do not want this software to be packaged by you, if they
15 > did they wouldn't put this intricate obstacle course in your way.
16 > Sometimes life can be so simple.
17
18 I agree.[1] The intent of the license is clear enough, make it
19 proprietary, with enough questions about the legal implications and
20 effectiveness of said license that it's simply not worth the hassle and
21 risk.
22
23 I honestly don't know why he's trying to do this. As others have pointed
24 out, either his software is valuable enough to be worth forking, and it
25 WILL fork (with the entire community shipping the freedomware fork), or
26 it's not, and he's effectively sentencing it to some likely obscure
27 proprietaryware niche. The friendly dual-license route would seem much
28 more effective at doing what he seems to want to do. <shrug>
29
30 .....
31
32 [1] I wrote (and revised...) an earlier reply coming to about the same
33 conclusion, but decided the SNR wasn't high enough to send and the
34 revisions weren't helping, so I sent it to /dev/null.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman