From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting build deps out from depends
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:31:03
1 On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 12:08 -0500, Brian D. Harring wrote:
4 > > > Some of us think we can't start now, others think we can. I was under the
5 > > > impression from ferringb that we could.
6 > > >
7 > >
8 > > BDEPEND should be fine to start now depending on faith.
9 > Not after having it rolled into the tree, _yet_. First email pretty
10 > much stated I was just after seeing if it was tenuable beyond just the
11 > portage crews views on it :)
12 >
13 > Basically, I was attempting to get feedback on issues where this
14 > wouldn't be quiet enough, an example of which is ncurses.
15 > (my understanding of this, thanks to flameeyes for clueing me in)
16 > ncurses built/installed in chost==ctarget, BDEPEND=
17 > ncurses built/installed in chost!=ctarget, BDEPEND=ncurses
20 Well, I can see that it can help towards that end.
21
22 > So... need to expose either ctarget as some type of flag for bdepend,
23 > or use flag type hack (native when chost=ctarget, -native when
24 > evaluating a use conditional in a domain where chost!=ctarget).
25 >
26 > Thoughts regarding it? I'd expect we'll have to expose ctarget info
27 > in some way for use conditionals, but would like some feedback on what
28 > else may be required.
29
30 Well, currently you have to export CTARGET for crossdev, etc, so either
31 keep that method, or add something to cvs portage to support
32 cross-compiling ?
35 Thanks,
38 Martin Schlemmer
39 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
40 Cape Town, South Africa