From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 22:35:47
1 W dniu śro, 11.07.2018 o godzinie 18∶26 -0400, użytkownik Richard Yao
2 napisał:
3 > > On Jul 11, 2018, at 6:23 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > W dniu śro, 11.07.2018 o godzinie 18∶11 -0400, użytkownik Richard Yao
6 > > napisał:
7 > > > > > On Jul 11, 2018, at 4:43 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
10 > > > > >
11 > > > > > On my system, /usr/portage is a separate mountpoint. There is no need to have on,h top level directories be separate mountpoints.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > It makes sense to follow FHS. Sure, I can work around poor designs by
14 > > > > sticking mount points all over the place, or manually setting my
15 > > > > config to put stuff in sane locations. It makes more sense to put all
16 > > > > the volatile stuff in /var, than to mix it up all over the place and
17 > > > > get users to set up separate mountpoints to make up for it.
18 > > >
19 > > > Is it a violation of the FHS? /usr is for readonly data and the portage tree is generally readonly, except when being updated. The same is true of everything else in /usr.
20 > > >
21 > > > I am confused as to how we only now realized it was a FHS violation when it has been there for ~15 years. I was under the impression that /usr was the correct place for it.
22 > > > >
23 > >
24 > > And we're back to the usual Gentoo argument of 'it was like this for
25 > > N years'. So FYI, something 'being there for ~15 years' doesn't make it
26 > > right. It only means that:
27 > >
28 > > a. Gentoo devs were wrong 15 years ago.
29 > >
30 > > b. Gentoo devs are still wrong today.
31 > >
32 > > c. Gentoo devs can't manage to make such a simple change because they're
33 > > too concerned about hurting somebody's feelings about a path.
34 >
35 > This does not answer my question. Is it really a FHS violation? The contents of /usr changes when doing updates using the system package manager. When not doing updates, it really is readonly and the FHS says that /usr is for readonly things. I do not see how it is different from anything else in /usr.
38 You are bending the definition to the limit.
39
40 1. Repository updates can be done as unprivileged user (and it's
41 generally insane to --sync as root when you can do it unprivileged!).
42
43 2. Package managers can update repository cache while *not* performing
44 system updates. This is writing.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny