From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:25:00
1 El sáb, 23-06-2012 a las 17:53 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh escribió:
2 > On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:47:26 +0200
3 > Justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
4 > > On 23.06.2012 18:17, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:13:23 +0200
6 > > > Justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
7 > > >> Did you read what you wrote and thought about what you request from
8 > > >> others? Probably you better should.
9 > > >
10 > > > Uh huh, and I think we all know there's a huge difference between
11 > > > knowing what versions and slots are and knowing what "a multilib"
12 > > > is.
13 > > >
14 > >
15 > > Might be right, but that doesn't allow you to break your own rules.
16 > > Plus I still don't get the problem of using SLOTS in the way they are
17 > > used now.
18 >
19 > "My own rules" are that enough material is presented that the relevant
20 > people understand it. If you look at simple proposals like usex, silent
21 > rules or EBUILD_PHASE_FUNC, you'll see quite clearly that we ask for
22 > very little in the way of text in cases where the change is easily
23 > understood.
24 >
25 > > And I can't find this out by simply googling. In contrast, an
26 > > explanation of multilib in context of linux distribution and more
27 > > specific gentoo can be found easily.
28 >
29 > Oh really? I was under the impression that there wasn't even general
30 > agreement upon whether or not multilib applied to "C" or to "C, and
31 > Python, and things like it".
32 >
33 > > Stop acting in this arrogant way you are doing right now.
34 >
35 > Come on. Submitting a simple proposal with at least as much detail as
36 > was provided for other, equally simple proposals is "arrogant" now?
37
38 Did you send this proposal seriously or only to troll comparing it with
39 what you think tommy did with multilib thread?
40
41 If this is seriously, could you explain more how paludis behave in this
42 case? Looks like it treats SLOT with major number as latest version,
43 that is not always true and I don't understand why it should be always
44 true as there are cases where upstream could release newer 3.0.x
45 releases that are really newer than 3.1.x versions.
46
47 Current -r300/200 stuff shouldn't break as it's only used to slot
48 libraries and that libs will only be installed when some app RDEPENDs on
49 them.
52 > > > That's covered in the devmanual and in the user documentation, so
53 > > > there's no need to repeat it here.
54 > >
55 > > Ever heard about references. They are good, if you don't like to
56 > > repeat what is written, but which are necessary context to understand
57 > > what you are writing. You should use them for the sake of
58 > > understanding, if you are to lazy to write it out again.
59 >
60 > Please take a look at the proposal for EBUILD_PHASE_FUNC, and say where
61 > it references what "phase functions" are, or the proposal for usex and
62 > say where it references what "use flags" are, or the proposal for
63 > silent rules where it references what "econf" is.
64 >
65 > > >> To me, it doesn't solve the root cause, but actually I can't judge
66 > > >> this, because I am missing a description of what is really going
67 > > >> wrong.
68 > > >
69 > > > As I've already said, this isn't about solving the root cause. It's
70 > > > about reducing the impact of damage that's already been done until
71 > > > the root cause is solved properly.
72 > >
73 > > My clear vote is No. We shouldn't implement anything which allows bad
74 > > coding anywhere, just for the sake of having it "solved" now.
75 >
76 > The bad coding has already happened. Are you volunteering to revert the
77 > Ruby virtuals?