From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Detecting gcj in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:43:57
1 On Wednesday 17 November 2004 2:57 am, Duncan wrote:
2 > Thomas de Grenier de Latour posted
3 > <20041112152916.348abb9e.degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>, excerpted below, on
4 >
5 > Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:29:16 +0100:
6 > > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:20:29 +0900
7 > >
8 > > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
9 > >> emerge --pretend will always show what emerge is going to do.
10 > >
11 > > Sure, but you know how users are.[] I agree that your approach is the
12 > > right thing to do from a reasonable semantics point of view, but from a
13 > > user point of view it will probably look different.
14 > > That said, this problem can also be solved by some cosmetic
15 > > means, like adding a big warning of that kind:
16 > > * gcc will have to be emerged twice because you lack the fortran * USE
17 > > flag, so if that is a problem for you, then add this flag * and you'll
18 > > be fine. 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
19 >
20 > OK, I'm one of those "users". Read that as sysadmin of a Gentoo system.
21 > Sysadmin carries some responsibility for knowing how the system is set up,
22 > particularly as it pertains to security issues. I don't take that
23 > responsibility lightly, nor would I expect anyone to seriously recommend
24 > that I do so.
25 >
26 > I would **NOT** appreciate portage taking upon ITSELF to CHANGE my USE
27 > flags behind my back!!! Count this as one vote for emerge-stopping
28 > errors, NOT warnings that may or may not be seen in the middle of a string
29 > of emerges. Yes, I use pretend (or more generally, ask), and would
30 > normally catch a repeated emerge there. However, I still don't want use
31 > flags being changed out from under me.
32
33 This would be not very different than GNOME forcing you to emerge GTK despite
34 having -gtk in your USE...
35 --
36 Luke-Jr
37 Developer, Utopios