From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to support C++11 in libraries?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 08:21:09
1 On 12/18/13 02:54 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, folks.
3 >
4 Hi
5
6 <snip>
7 > Basically, I've hit this with sys-devel/llvm. A user has requested lldb
8 > support to be enabled in the ebuild [2]. Sadly, lldb requires C++11 to
9 > be used, and this means that whole LLVM needs to become C++11 enabled.
10 > And then, it would be at least recommended that all reverse deps become
11 > C++11 enabled as well.
12 /*
13 Personally, I think lldb is pooh (bloated mess that has poor internal
14 design, offers little or no logical features that can't be accomplished
15 with source access+printf and takes a needlessly long time to compile as
16 a result)
17 */
19 If the only driving motivation is lldb then I think this isn't worth the
20 effort and I wonder what may be incompatible as a result. Long term it
21 certainly should happen - I can't/won't argue or disagree with the long
22 term merits, but when.. and who will do all that work..
23
24 Just a heads up that clang/llvm will (have in svn trunk) force building
25 with c++11 for the next major release (6 months from now). So unless
26 some 3rd party goes and backports or removes the c++11 pieces - this
27 will add to the list of c++11 only software in the near future.