From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:53:42
1 maillog: 30/11/2005-15:16:35(-0500): Andrew Muraco types
2 > Mark Loeser wrote:
3 >
4 > >Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com> said:
7 > >>is a minimum. A full out doc with all the FAQ and important notes about
8 > >>what needs to be recompiled (in my opinion) would be a much more through
9 > >>upgrade path, ofcourse still include the einfo quick instructions. But I
10 > >>think the masses of users will not be happy when they realize that
11 > >>emerge -e world && emerge -e world means that they will be compiling for
12 > >>the next day (or 2 or 3), so a way to block the upgrade from messing up
13 > >>people that wish to keep 3.3.x as default would be a good idea.
14 > >>
15 > >>
16 > >
17 > >gcc-3.4.* will not be selected as your system compiler after merging it.
18 > >The
19 > >old gcc profile is still valid, therefore it is kept. Users have to
20 > >consciously go and change their profile to change their gcc, so nothing is
21 > >going to just magically break.
22 > >
23 > That makes me feel a bit more comfortable. I still think that something
24 > more then an einfo warning should be provided, as its easy to overlook
25 > those.
26
27 So make gcc-config produce warnings when changing the compiler.
28
29 "Switching to gcc-MAJOR.MINOR may break your system. Upgrade
30 instructions can be found at http://thedoc"
31
32 Trigger the message only when switching minor versions.
35 /\ Georgi Georgiev /\ On-line, adj.: The idea that a human being /\
36 \/ chutz@×××.net \/ should always be accessible to a computer. \/
37 /\ http://www.gg3.net/ /\ /\