From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 23:45:40
1 On 11/08/2014 03:33 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > We can choose for "code that works reasonably fast" - portage hasn't
3 > gotten any noticeable work on performance in a while, and people have
4 > just piled on more and more features and complexity.
5
6 Yes, as one of only 2 people who have worked on the resolver in recent
7 history, I agree with your statement. There have been lots of features
8 added (including EAPI 5 sub-slot rebuilds), with not much thought to
9 performance tuning. It will be interesting to do some profiling and see
10 what we can improve.
11
12 > There's no reason that it takes a minute to start up,
13
14 If it takes a minute then it probably means that
15 /var/cache/edb/vdb_metadata.pickle got deleted. In that case, it has to
16 reload lots of metadata from /var/db/pkg/*/*/*.
17 --
18 Thanks,
19 Zac