From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change or revert the "30 days maintainer timeout" stabilization policy
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 01:07:19
1 On 04/03/2014 12:52 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > The "30 days maintainer time out" stabilization policy isn't working
3 > when package has multiple SLOTs, because
4 > the bugs are filed for only latest SLOT, where as some packages require
5 > stabilization in sync at both SLOTs
6
7 Question: Why is the maintainer not responding within a sane timeframe then?
8
9 > Option 1:
10 >
11 > Either revert the whole policy, and never CC arches on unanswered bugs
12 > when the package has a maintainer,
13 > and let him do it when he finds the time himself, and if that doesn't
14 > happen, wait until it's dropped to maintainer-needed@
15 >
16 > Option 2:
17 >
18 > Or, the person who is CCing the arches in 30 days timeout, needs to make
19 > sure the bug covers all SLOT at the same time
20
21 So what we actually want is some package-specific notes.
22
23 There's some packages where that would be very useful, e.g.
24 virtualbox-modules needs to be manually split out from upstream tarball.
25 Github creating broken tarballs -> need to manually repack
26
27 I suggest that we add a freeform textfile (e.g. notes.txt, dev-info.txt,
28 ...) where devs can add such special things.
29
30 This makes it easier for future maintainers and interested users to
31 reproduce such packages and reduces the chance of such problems in the
32 future.
35 > The status quo no longer allows me to maintain stable version of
36 > dev-libs/girara, app-text/zathura*, and the issue needs
37 > to be addressed, see http://bugs.gentoo.org/502714 for what inspired
38 > this mail
39
40 ... file stabilization bugs yourself?
41
42 have fun,
43
44 Patrick