From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA bikeshed: killing USE=dedicated in favor of uniform USE=client+server
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:04:26
1 On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
2 > As an old-school gamer and someone who runs dedicated servers and have
3 > done so for years, I disagree. So would a lot of gamers.
4
5 As an old-school gamer I think the USE=client/server thing makes a lot
6 of sense.
7
8 So would a lot of gamers.
9
10 I get that some people don't like the proposal. That is true of
11 virtually every proposal that goes to the council.
12
13 > The games
14 > team and games ebuild users are primarily gamers. This will cause us
15 > nothing but annoyance. Leave it, please.
16
17 I'm a gamer. I suspect half of all Gentoo users play games. The
18 games ebuild causes me nothing but annoyance. It is already
19 deprecated.
20
21 I am not coming down on you for expressing your opinion. That is your
22 right, and I've noted it.
23
24 We're already using client/server but doing it in a confusing way.
25 USE=dedicated means USE="+server -client"
26 USE=server means USE="+server +client"
27 USE=-server means USE="-server +client"
28 USE="dedicated -server" seems to generally be interpreted as
29 USE="+server -client" (please tell me again how this is better than
30 REQUIRED_USE?)
31
32 But, I'm sure that a complete survey of packages would show the
33 current state to be more confused.
34
35 I'm just one vote, but if you really want to preserve the current
36 state I'd suggest bringing arguments and not "please leave us alone."
37 Right now there isn't even a functional games team to leave alone, and
38 this isn't just about games.
41 Rich