From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Network configuration and bash
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:27:15
1 On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:49:57 -0700
2 "Daniel Robbins" <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > In other words:
4 >
5 > busybox + single rcS file = fastest and simplest, smallest, best for
6 > very small filesystems, not as flexible
7 >
8 > bash + gentoo baselayout = most flexible, biggest, slower, best for
9 > feature-rich systems
10 >
11 > busybox + gentoo baselayout = ?
12
13 FreeBSD sh + Gentoo baselayout = cold boot in around 4 seconds
14 Going to multi-user from single user after a boot is under 2 seconds
15 (times measured from when init starts rc - the difference is probably
16 because the all my local mounts are still mounted)
17
18 I have this running on a 2Ghz P4 Laptop right now. Admittedly, no
19 network scripts are started expect for the loopback interface, but all
20 default scripts + openvpn, ssh, dnsmasq, metalog and vixie-cron are
21 started.
22
23 Ladies and gentlemen, this has always been about one thing - speed.
24 Ever since I got my 300Mhz Sparc64 to play around with FreeBSD, I've
25 realised that baselayout + bash is just too damn slow.
26
27 I think that's worth it.
28
29 Thanks