From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: ciaranm@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:27:25
1 Ciaran McCreesh said:
2 > Besides, if a package version is really that buggy, why isn't it in
3 > package.mask? The ~ keyword shouldn't be used for dodgy experimental
4 > releases, it should be used for packages which are candidates to become
5 > stable after a reasonable (package and arch dependent) period. If an
6 > ebuild is in the tree and not-*/.mask'ed, we consider it a fair target
7 > for going stable.
8
9 Consider that large numbers of people actually need to test things before
10 it's known whether they're stable candidates. This does not happen in
11 package.mask. I consider ~$MYARCH packages fair game for continuing
12 changes in the voyage toward stability, after bugs are revealed in their
13 original states.
14
15 I will admit, however, that I have a bit of a double standard in when I
16 bump revisions. The larger the package, the larger the magic number needs
17 to be for a revision bump. I use a simple, subjective quasi-formula for
18 this:
19 ( people affected ) * ( severity of change ) / ( average upgrade time )
20
21 Example: a minor bug affects a non-default configuration for big-endian
22 architectures on xorg-x11. Do I bump for the fix? Doubtful.
23 Example: same situation on colordiff, a package that takes less than a
24 minute to upgrade. Do I bump? Much more likely.
25
26 I realize that colordiff in particular isn't likely to hit that, but it's
27 just a random situation.
28
29 Thanks,
30 Donnie