From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 01:12:36
1 On 15/05/16 01:59, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Please enlighten me as to what was impolite here? The strong language of
4 >> "seriously" or definitively stating that the individual did not perform the
5 >> necessary QA actions before committing?
6 > He actually didn't "state" anything at all - he posted a set of
7 > rhetorical questions. And the use of "seriously" was inflammatory.
8 > In fact, if you're trying to avoid injecting passion into a discussion
9 > it is worth thinking carefully about just about any word ending in
10 > "ly" that you put into a sentence. Nine times out of ten the word
11 > isn't necessary and can cause more harm than good.
12 >
13 >> Both of which are completely called
14 >> for and appropriate. No vulgarity, insults, or demeaning words were used.
15 > I disagree. The tone was uncivil and demeaning.
16 >
17 >> How would you have responded professionally?
18 >>
19 > How about this:
20 >
21 > You inserted this code snippet into the middle of a command line, so
22 > it is certain to break in either case. This should have been detected
23 > during testing; please be sure to test changes to ebuilds/eclasses
24 > before committing them. Additionally eclass changes should be
25 > submitted to the lists for review in any case prior to being
26 > committed.
27 >
28 > Or by all means refer the issue to QA/Comrel if you want to escalate it.
29 >
30 > I'm in no way suggesting that we should accept bad commits. IMO when
31 > we see bad commits we should:
32 >
33 > 1. Just point them out politely if it is a one-off. ANYBODY can make
34 > a mistake.
35 > 2. If they're a trend or show signs of bad practices like not testing
36 > changes then escalate to QA/Comrel.
37 > 3. Let QA/Comrel do their job and block commit access or refer the
38 > dev for more mentoring/etc as appropriate. Then we actually fix the
39 > problem instead of just yelling at each other.
40 >
41 +1