From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 02:03:27
1 On Sunday 07 October 2007, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 07-10-2007 10:19:43 -0600, Joe Peterson wrote:
3 > > So there are a couple of options, as I see it:
4 > >
5 > > 1) Limit tool options to those that are common to all tool variants
6 > > 2) Port a standard (i.e. GNU) set of tools to all platforms
7 > > 3) Force all gentoo ports to use GNU userland
8 > >
9 > > I think we'd all agree that #3 is too restrictive. For example, g/fbsd
10 > > uses BSD's userland (like vanilla FreeBSD does), and making it GNU would
11 > > be a pretty major change.
12 >
13 > No, it is not. The problem IMHO is in the "user" userland and the
14 > "portage" userland are being seen as one. I think it would be very easy
15 > to install all GNU equivalents of tools on BSD in some separate dir, put
16 > it in portage's DEFAULT_PATH before /bin and /usr/bin and all would work
17 > perfectly well from the ebuild/eclass perspective.
18
19 Fabian has summed it up nicely, thanks. i could care less what your userland
20 is outside of the ebuild environment since it doesnt matter to ebuild
21 writers. you want a deficient runtime environment, more power to you, but
22 forcing that environment onto ebuild developers is not acceptable. off the
23 top of my head, i'd like to see GNU find/xargs added to the ebuild
24 environment.
25 -mike