From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:09:40
1 On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:21:46PM -0700, Abhishek Amit wrote:
2 > While we may not(we being users of wms only) use desktop
3 > enviorments, KDE and GNOME are still in the default USE flags. ALSA
4 > is also in there(/etc/make.profile/use.defaults). I think that the
5 > defualt flags should be the basis of testing, and note I am writing
6 > this from mutt in flxbox.
7
8 But, remember that the default flags are what maintainers usually are
9 running. So a tinderbox system would only test exactly what the
10 maintainers are testing, and thus wouldn't give any idea of how good
11 an ebuild was.
12
13 I have no statistics or not even investigated it, but I have a hunch
14 that most ebuilds fail because of;
15 *) Forgotten dependencies
16 *) virtual dependencies satisfies another package than the maintainer
17 are running
18 *) Strange USE flags
19
20 I don't think it would be feasable for a tinderbox to test all the
21 possible combinations for every new ebuild.
22
23 Although, a tinderbox would be nice for maintainers that doesn't have
24 access to sparc/powerpc architectures to test that their packages
25 atleast build on them. But gentoo perhaps already has a couple of
26 servers that can be used to manually test different archs?
27
28 //H
29
30 Btw, if you're using mutt... Can't you investigate if there are some
31 way to make your editor do linebreaks? ;)
34 To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list