From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-4.4 - call for testers
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 08:59:31
1 On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 16:03:11 +0800
2 konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I actually don't like the idea of enabling or disabling
5 > "installed-readline" based on the `${PV} != *_rc*` condition. If a
6 > user would want to explicitly enable "installed-readline" globally,
7 > how would he make sure that it only affects the release version of
8 > bash? I suggest that we just don't entertain the flag (and not make
9 > it available) if the ebuild is not targetting a release version, and
10 > not use the readline installed by the system by default. No one would
11 > need a non-release version of bash compiled against a system readline
12 > anyway.
13
14 That's not what that does. It doesn't enable or disable the mechanic,
15 the code I offered only changes the default for _rc.
16
17 That is, on _rc the default is "use bundled readline implementation",
18 and on non_rc, the default is "use pre-existing readline
19 implementation".
20
21 if the user specifies an explicit
22
23 USE="system-readline"
24
25 in make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use, then this "default" gets
26 overridden and the system readline implementation is always used.
27
28 if the user speciifies an explicit
29
30 USE="-system-readline"
31
32 in make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use, then this "default" gets
33 overriden and the inbuilt readline is awlays used.
34
35 Explicitly defined configuration always trumps IUSE. The "+" prefix in
36 IUSE only specifies that the USE flag defaults to on, as opposed to
37 defaulting off.
40 > I also thought using 'system-' prefix is confusing. Does that mean
41 > the system of the machine, or the system of the application? In
42 > firefox, I once thought that system-* means packages bundled within
43 > it. Perhaps I misread, or perhaps it was changed. At that time,
44 > descriptions of use flags were not widely provided yet so I could only
45 > guess it based on how I built the packages.
46
47 The system of the machine. As in, "Operating System". Always.
48 "system-foo" usually means "foo is bundled, and toggling this flag
49 toggles between using the bundled foo, or the system foo.
52 > But I don't really mind which one is used. I also just thought
53 > 'installed-readline' is better since it configures
54 > `--with-installed-readline`, so one can simply have `$(use_enable
55 > installed-readline)` if applicable.
56
57 'use_enable' takes a USE flag and a configure token anyway.
58
59 So:
60
61 $(use_enable system-readline installed-readline)
62
63 is equivalent to:
64
65 use system-readline && myconf+=" --enable-installed-readline"
66
67 But you probably wanted "use_with" ( man 5 ebuild )
68
69 $(use_with system-readline installed-readline)
70
71 Which is instead equivalent to
72
73 use system-readline && myconf+=" --with-installed-readline"