From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About the 'eapi' file in profile directories
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 21:54:32
1 >>>>> On Sun, 01 Aug 2021, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2
3 > So it looks like Section 2.3, "Reserved EAPIs" is more relevant here:
4
5 > 2.3 Reserved EAPIs
6
7 > EAPIs whose value consists purely of an integer are reserved
8 > for future versions of this specification.
9
10 > EAPIs whose value starts with the string paludis- are reserved
11 > for experimental use by the Paludis package manager.
12
13 > That means that, yes, EAPIs can be literal string values (just without
14 > quotes). However, the primary use case, IOW, the official repo, we're
15 > using incrementing numeric integers.
16
17 No, it only says that unofficial EAPIs cannot be pure integers.
18 The reverse conclusion does not follow.
19
20 > PMS is supposed to be package-manager agnostic, so carving out a
21 > specific reservation for a specific package manager in Section 2.3
22 > seems to defeat that purpose.
23
24 Quoting ciaranm [1]:
25
26 | > "EAPIs whose value starts with the string paludis- are reserved for
27 | > experimental use by the Paludis package manager."
28 |
29 | Don't tell anyone, but that's mostly just in there because some people
30 | insisted that EAPIs were numbers (and thus comparable), so I wanted an
31 | explicit mention of one that wasn't.
32
33 > If Paludis is still being developed and needs something for
34 > experimental use, then it's up to it to do that on its own. We could
35 > support this by specifying that EAPIs are single-line strings of a
36 > form [A-Za-z0-9\x20_-]+?, thus removing the specific reservation for a
37 > specific package manager and handling the current single-number format
38 > as well as other fancy names. Like maybe EAPI 9 can be "Magnificent
39 > Penguin"? :)
40
41 PMS specifies what characters are allowed in an EAPI name [2], namely
42 the same as in a slot name:
43
44 | An EAPI name may contain any of the characters [A-Za-z0-9+_.-].
45 | It must not begin with a hyphen, a dot or a plus sign.
46
47 Ulrich
48
49 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-pms/message/98cdbfbe67a19c0fea5cc69e8b8ea2fe