From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] punting the use.defaults feature
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:29:12
1 On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:06:38 +0100
2 Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:23:19 +0100
5 > "Spider (D.m.D. Lj.)" <spider@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 11:55 -0800, Michael Marineau wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > For users who do like the functionality just properly document
10 > > > the existance of USE_ORDER in the install guide.
11 > >
12 > > However, I'd -also- want the IUSE="+auto -bongodrums alpha beta
13 > > +zeta" to be set, perhaps with a new USE_ORDER variable
14 > > ":ebuild:" ?
15 >
16 > Imho, that's the problem with documenting USE_ORDER (although
17 > it's a minor one): if a user set USE_ORDER="env:pkg:conf:defaults"
18 > in his make.conf and a later version of portage introduces some new
19 > interesting value, he will miss this new feature without noticing.
20 >
21 > Since it seems that the common usage of user-defined USE_ORDER is
22 > to remove values, but not actually to change their priorities
23 > (probably because the default ones are the only ones which really
24 > make sense), i would rather see a split in two distinct vars:
25 > - FOO (i'm not good to invent names) would be portage internal
26 > and define valid values and their respective priorities.
27 > - BAR would be accessible to the users as an incremental var, and
28 > would define what values should be taken into account.
29 >
30 > FOO default would be "env:pkg:conf:auto:defaults".
31 > BAR default would be "auto conf default env pkg".
32 >
33 > This way, users could set BAR="-auto" in make.conf, which would
34 > really mean "take all of the default USE_ORDER but the auto thing".
35 > And the day "ebuild" or any other new feature is implemented, this
36 > user will have it automatically (just like he would get any new
37 > enabled-by-default FEATURES flag for instance).
38
39 Personally I'd just kill auto-use support in the next "big" portage
40 upgrade (and USE_ORDER with it as disabling auto-use is the only
41 real application of it that I'm aware of).
42
43 Marius
48 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
49 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.