From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: last rites: games-fps/postal2mp-demo
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:50:27
1 >>>>> On Wed, 16 Jul 2014, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2
3 > I have once asked Robin to archive the distfiles for a commercial
4 > package which has RESTRICT=mirror. My reasoning at the time was that
5 > if upstream disappears there's a good chance, depending on why that
6 > happens, we can qualify the software as abandonware and the no
7 > mirror restriction may become moot.
8
9 IANAL, but there is no such concept as "abandonware" in copyright law.
10 Copyright can expire, at which point the work enters into the public
11 domain. However, the time for that is generally too long to play any
12 practical role for software (typically 70 years post mortem auctoris).
13
14 Therefore we cannot distribute a package unless it is explicitly
15 allowed by its license.
16
17 > At that point we could push the distfiles to our mirrors.
18
19 No.
20
21 Ulrich