From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 02:20:29
1 On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:11, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:51:51 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | Without a list of future features, you think the best way to go must
6 > | be the least agile? As Zac said, all that matters to keep full
7 > | compatibility on the side of the readers is to add a level of
8 > | indirection. All your reasoning above falls apart in the face of that
9 > | simple *logical* request.
10 >
11 > Every problem can be solved by adding another layer of indirection,
12 > except for the problem of having too many layers of indirection. This
13 > layer you are proposing is not going to do anything useful. It's merely
14 > adding indirection for the sake of it. There's no more need for this
15 > than there is need for a two thousand line XML DTD which allows us to
16 > specify the author's date of birth using an ancient Sumerian calendar.
17 >
18 > Come up with a full specification of how Portage will handle multiple
19 > repositories, and get that specification agreed upon by the people who
20 > will end up having to use it. *Then* come back and ask me to add in
21 > more complexity. I'm not going to over-complicate things to deal with
22 > random hypothetical half-baked speculation.
23
24 So what are you going to do? I asked already but you didn't answer.
25 How are you going to find $PORTDIR/metadata/news?
28 Jason Stubbs
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list