From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: DESCRIPTION size
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 10:43:58
1 Mounir Lamouri wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > According to devmanunal [1], DESCRIPTION should be 80 characters max but
5 > according to repoman, DESCRIPTION should be 100 characters max.
6 > I'm confused, who should I believe ? :)
7 >
8 > [1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/index.html
9
10 Though I'm not a Gentoo dev, I'd say common sense dictates that the 80
11 characters limit is just a recommendation based on the 80x25 characters
12 the default VGA text-mode supports. In other words, "one line of text."
13 In any event, I don't think any short description of any package would
14 need more than that. But also don't think you would break any "rules"
15 by using more than 80, unless it becomes clearly too long.