From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Package configuration
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 04:44:23
1 Hello,
2
3 I've been playing a bit with portage and try to create a stable and easy
4 to use postgres package. Doing this I noticed something missing in
5 portage (maybe I'm just overlooking it, and then all what follows is
6 obsolete ;-) ).
7
8 Typically a package has a configuration phase which occurs after merging
9 it into the system. This configuration is optional, but could be done
10 both for binary as source packages. For postgres this is for example the
11 initialization and installation of an empty database instance. Rocklinux
12 solves this in a very simple and easy to use manner. It contains an
13 /etc/setup.d/ directory with simple shell scripts prepended by numbers
14 in their names (eg. 00-general, 10-gpm, 20-network, 50-sshd, 70-pgsql,
15 ...) It uses these numbers to execute all configs sequentially when a
16 binary clean install is done from cd. This makes the initial
17 configuration process modular and very manageable.
18
19 When installing a package, emerge could monitor /etc/setup.d/ in a
20 similar way as it monitors /etc and report whether a new config file is
21 present and that it can be executed to configure the package that just
22 was merged.
23
24 I hope I explained clearly enough. Tell me what you think of it.
25
26 Best regards,
29 Geert Bevin
30 the Leaf sprl/bvba
31 "Use what you need" Pierre Theunisstraat 1/47
32 http://www.theleaf.be 1030 Brussels
33 gbevin@×××××××.be Tel & Fax +32 2 241 19 98