From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] custom-cflags global USE
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:46:00
1 On Friday 23 February 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 01:40 +0100, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
3 > > And I'd be fond of having all the -ffast-math filtering ripped out of the
4 > > tree as well.
5 >
6 > Except some things really do not compile with it enabled. Now, if
7 > you're meaning you'd prefer patch every compilation failure using
8 > -ffast-math instead, then I'd say go for it. Patches are always a
9 > better solution than workarounds.
10
11 filtering encourages users to continue to put -ffast-math into their global
12 CFLAGS ... this is just plain wrong
13
14 ignoring compile issues, fast math can break runtime code that actually
15 requires the IEEE compliant behavior ... the only people who know
16 whether -ffast-math is safe are the upstream maintainers ... leave using the
17 flag to them
18 -mike