From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 03:55:19
1 On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 04:04 +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:04:19 -0600
3 > Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Your "suggestion" was expanding the "arm" keyword to "armv4-linux",
6 > > "armv5-linux", "armv6-linux", "armv6-hardfloat-linux",
7 > > "armv7-softfp-linux", "armv7-hardfloat-linux",
8 > > "armv7-hardfloat-uclibc-linux" - that is nowhere near a good solution.
9 >
10 > We've ran over the reasons and they have appeared as fit for this idea.
11 >
12 > It can be prejudged as "nowhere near a good solution"; but for it to
13 > actually be that, it would need solid reasoning that people agree on.
14 >
15 > Reasoning is also needed to be able to figure out which conditions are
16 > fit for another solution; that way, the other solutions could be shaped
17 > with the help of that feedback to make the other solutions better.
18 >
19 > > The /dev/null comment was about wanting others to do the work and not
20 > > contributing anything more than (imo) a stupid idea
21 >
22 > The idea moves work from one place to another, which yields the same
23 > amount of work; your work statement seems like another topic, which you
24 > are making basic assumptions on. Solutions to the stated actual problem
25 > are neglected, as more time for research and consideration is needed.
28 > To get on the topic of your work statement; consider that one can find
29 > 7 people whom each have one arm configuration much faster than one can
30 > find 1 person that has all of them.
33 The idea moves the work around, it doesn't lessen the workload at all.
34 You can easily find 7 people who have an armv7, and even v6, since the
35 rpi is quite popular. Getting them into the arch team and willing to
36 run stable and actually test programs is a whole other story, which lead
37 to you saying:
38
39 "People that have certain architectures can just add themselves, no
40 extra work again."
41
42 And that's a show stopper, just randomly adding yourself to an arch team
43 and claiming you've tested it is a nonstarter. Considering if there IS
44 an issue, we then have to track you down and figure out why/what is
45 different in the configuration that it's failing for others. You being
46 on the QA team even offering that up as an option makes it questionable
47 as to why you're on the QA team. That should never even be thought of
48 as an option.
49
50 What you've thrown out as a possible solution is akin to taking a pile
51 of peas on the plate and moving them around the plate so that the pile
52 doesn't look so big.
53
54 It doesn't change the amount of work, but you do need to look in more
55 places for the work. Finding people with the hardware is the main
56 issue, and I think I mentioned before, some people are simply unwilling
57 to invest in "slow" hardware, so we have to rely on the people who DO
58 have it. And if that means things take longer to stable, well, why is
59 that an issue? Stable is supposed to be that - stable.
60
61 > > if you aren't willing to put in the work, don't expect others to.
62 >
63 > If you are unwilling to work towards solutions, don't expect others to.
64 >
65 > > And yes, I see what you mean now re: my reply seeming off - it would
66 > > seem when I hit group reply, for some reason, Evolution is putting
67 > > Peter Stuge into the CC, and not Tom Wijsman (despite hitting group
68 > > reply from your email. Maybe there should have been more testing of
69 > > Gnome 3.8 before it was stabled on x86...
70 >
71 > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
72 > http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
75 I don't care of "reply to" is considered harmful, I care that something
76 that worked with the previous stable is suddenly not working with the
77 new stable. It obviously shows that it wasn't tested properly, and yet
78 was marked stable. So, as QA, shouldn't you be doing something about
79 that, rather than pointing to some URLs on the web, telling me I'm in
80 the wrong for using the option that is supposed to handle that properly
81 in my stable software?