From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 23:40:50
1 Tom Wijsman:
2 > On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 15:09:38 +0000
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Tom Wijsman:
6 >>>> It improves usability by providing additional information.
7 >>>
8 >>> Usability is not to be found in information that is subject to
9 >>> change.
10 >>
11 >> Please also set DEPEND, RDEPEND, EGIT_REPO_URI, DESCRIPTION and the
12 >> rest of them to "", because they are all subject to change.
13 >
14 > Most of them are destructive to proper arch testing, where "" keywords
15 > are not destructive to it. As for DESCRIPTION, that is not subject.
16 >
17 >>> So, both quotes reveal that empty keywords fit very well;
18 >>
19 >> No, they just reveal that people didn't think carefully enough before
20 >> establishing that policy.
21 >
22 > Check the history instead of making wild guesses about past thoughts;
23 > if you want to rate context, give facts and references to back it up.
24 >
25 >>> by limiting its length.
26 >>
27 >> Welcome to 2014. We have tools that can aid you with dealing with big
28 >> files.
29 >
30 > Even in 2014, we clean crap; tools aren't an excuse for not recycling.
31 >
32 >>> Information that is a given; as known, live ebuilds miss arch
33 >>> testing.
34 >>
35 >> If an ebuild hasn't been tested on _any_ arch, then it shouldn't be in
36 >> the tree at all.
37 >
38 > Live ebuilds are an exception that can be in the Portage tree. If you
39 > want to suggest their removal from the Portage tree, start a new thread.
40 >
41 >> In addition, it is obviously wrong, since most people will at least
42 >> test their own live ebuilds on major arches and they are allowed to
43 >> add those keywords without involving arch teams.
44 >
45 > So, they throw proper arch testing and snapshots out of the window?
48 I don't see any sense in what you say. You sound confused.