From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] College Course in Gentoo Development
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:43:16
1 On 12/17/2012 07:46 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 >>
3 >> 2. Write an ebuild for the project above, maintained in an overlay
4 >> (also on GitHub), with sources fetched from GitHub. Add some small
5 >> patch to configure.ac in the ebuild. Add USE flags. Add "make check"
6 >> support to the build system, test with FEATURES=test. Many
7 >> ebuild-related tasks can be easily added (e.g. installing init.d
8 >> scripts).
9 >
10 > This would be totally new to them but I agree that's a good idea. I
11 > don't know about GitHub. Can you delete projects from it when you're
12 > done because I don't want to polute GitHub with lots of unpolished stuff.
13
14 You can.
17 >> 3. Take an old-version ebuild for a project with a known bug, fetch
18 >> the relevant git tag, and bisect to find the bug. Prepare a patch,
19 >> describe patch submission process.
20 > Hmm ... I didn't think of this but I could do that with the kernel on
21 > virtual machines.
22
23 You might want a userland program to avoid having to do reboots. I
24 suppose git itself could be a good candidate for this.
27 >> Wrt. subjects covered, will you cover sandboxing, installing to image
28 >> vs. merging to live system, etc.? I would expect students to like such
29 >> stuff.
30 >>
31 > At some point I would have to cover that. Like when I got over the
32 > phases of emerging, stepping through them with ebuild.
35 You make me wish that this class was available when I was doing my
36 undergraduate degree. I had to learn this on my own.