From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:27:38
1 On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 09:32:40 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 24/03/2014 02:43, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 23:47:22 +0200
6 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Tags work best when they describe narrow, clearly defined
9 > >> attributes, and the thing they are applied to can have one, two or
10 > >> more of these attributes or sometimes even none. Music and movie
11 > >> genres are an excellent example - there are only so many of them
12 > >> and for the most part one can tell whether a tag really is a genre
13 > >> or not.
14 > >
15 > > There are more ways to search for a music or a movie than a genre:
16 >
17 > Genre was just one example of tag usage for illustration. Doesn't mean
18 > there aren't other equally good or valid examples.
19
20 +1 Ah, in that case, what I've said backs up your thought. \o/
21
22 > > We could make a list of types (some already mentioned above) and a
23 > > list of possible tags for that type to shape the tag system
24 > > somewhat.
25 >
26 > Have you considered just how much heavy lifting that is? Who is going
27 > to compile the list of tags?
28
29 +1 Yes, it's why I've stated before this should be crowd sourced.
30
31 > Who is going to approve/disapprove tagable attributes and the tags
32 > themselves?
33
34 Approval by default (with a quick skim over it) where we disapprove
35 what's not appropriate once we spot it could work. The "tagging rules"
36 will make themselves here. Those whom are interested could do it; that
37 is, I'd expect Alec to help out a bit, maybe I do too, maybe others?
38
39 > How will you resolve disagreements people have?
40
41 Discussion and/or votes.
42
43 > What about the case of a package maintainer that simply can't be
44 > bothered doing tags at all?
45
46 +1 [see crowd sourced idea]
47
48 > I'm not against tagging per se, they can be useful.
49
50 +1, same thought; it's nice to have, but it needs to be good to work.
51
52 > But they do have to be strictly controlled otherwise things get out
53 > of hand very quickly. Every case I've seen of software that uses a
54 > freeform tagging mechanism fails almost instantly as it becomes very
55 > inconsistent. I have one of these apps in a corporate setting right
56 > now, have you any idea how many ways people can come up with to tag
57 > the concept of "cloud"? I have tags in there where someone translated
58 > the word "cloud" to a different language! It sounded like a good idea
59 > at the time to them....
60 >
61 > All in all, tagging is a huge amount of work and the odds of failure
62 > are high. People need to be aware of this reality.
63
64 +1 As can be seen that it can be made to work with things like movie
65 and music recommendation; it indeed took a while till they got at that
66 point, doing the work right avoids us to spend too much time on this.
67
68 > Wyatt Epp's post at 03:25 expresses very nicely in a more formal
69 > language what I'm saying.
70
71 +1
74 With kind regards,
75
76 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
77 Gentoo Developer
78
79 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
80 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
81 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D