From: Viktor Lakics <lakicsv@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Just an idea for emerge on dialup
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:38:53
1 Dear Gentooers,
2
3 This is just a wish from my side, given that I am rather a user than a
4 developer, therefore I cannot hack it, but I love gentoo.
5 Often times, when you have a broken dialup connection, you end up with a
6 partially downloaded file in /usr/portage/distfiles.
7
8 After getting automatically reconnected emerge does not pick up, if ithe
9 connection was broken while fetching. So I have to kill it by CTRL-C, then
10 trying to emerge again. Of course, the partially downloaded file will not
11 have the correct md5sum so it stops and forces me to redownload the whole
12 file. I noticed that emerge uses wget to fetch the files, wget -c would
13 continue a partially downloaded file without any problem. Is it possible to
14 correct this behaviour of emerge? Something like using wget -c, or check the
15 partially downloaded file, and pick up automatically wher it was left? This
16 would be a similar way how apt acts in a situation like this, and would make
17 life easier for the rest of us with dreadful 56 k...
18
19 Thanks : Viktor