From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: glibc versions prior to 2.19-r1
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:49:00
1 On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 11:55 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Because of that, i see no reason to keep the older versions of glibc
4 > around. This would also give us a chance to clean up the ebuilds without
5 > causing massive breakage. the eblits need to die.
8 Who is actually maintaining glibc, and what ebuilds do THEY want to
9 keep around? I'm not sure why this needs a big community decision
10 around cleaning them out.
11
12 They can keep around 10-year-old versions of glibc as far as I'm
13 concerned, as long as they promptly address bugs that are blockers for
14 other packages. If they don't, then I'm all for unblocking those
15 other packages (ie the maintainers of the other packages can ignore
16 old glibc bugs and proceed to break systems that use those versions).
17 So, nobody is forcing the glibc maintainers to do anything, but
18 neither are the glibc maintainers forcing anybody else to do anything
19 to support stuff more than a year old.
22 Rich