From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 06:43:25
1 On 10/19/2016 01:00 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > One of the downsides both the git-am and cherry-pick workflows are that
3 > they invalidate or otherwise omit commit signatures.
4 >
5 > git-merge on the other hand does preserve the signature as the original
6 > commit is intact, and the merge commit is where the signature of the
7 > gentoo developer is introduced.
8 >
9 > I agree clean history is valuable, but verifiable attribution may in
10 > fact be more important.
11 >
12 Yes, I don't like this aspect of any workflow that breaks history but I
13 personally feel that for the sake of both 'cleanliness' and ease of use
14 that the git am (or cherry-pick) workflow is best. I could possibly see
15 the possibility of tampering with the patch could be a problem
16 (attribution as you say) but in the end a developer still committed it.
17 Authored-by and Committed-by being different fields I feel the main one
18 infra needs to worry about is Committed-by.
21 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)