From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright issues (Was: udev-ng?)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:37:36
1 On 19.11.2012 19.02, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 07:41:54AM -0500, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> Thank you for these responses because they did help me understand
4 >> copyright/left better. I appreciate your expertise in the matter
5 >> and would hope I can draw on it again in the future, because despite
6 >> what you said a few emails ago, copyright/left is not something that
7 >> every software developer understands.
8 >
9 > I'm curious as to why this is? Didn't you learn about this in school
10 > (if you went to school for software development), or from any company
11 > you have worked for? At numerous companies I have worked for, it was
12 > part of the "introduction to company FOO, here's your legal training on
13 > what to do and not to do with regards to open source." _ANY_ company
14 > dealing with Linux should have this type of thing in place, otherwise,
15 > as I have found out first hand, it can get you in big trouble.
18 In Finland you can graduate with a computer science degree without
19 taking any law related course. There's an optional course on IT law that
20 is very good but not everyone takes it. For working in a company the law
21 assigns copyright of source code automatically to the company. For
22 proprietary shops the training could mostly be about not touching open
23 source code without prior approval. So in summary my guess is that there
24 are many open source contributors around who also work in IT who don't
25 have the exposure to law you think. For people dealing directly with
26 Linux it's probably as you say.
27
28 Regards,
29 Petteri