From: Mike Kelly <pioto@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise resumed again (was Resignation)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:01:41
1 On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:13:45 -0700
2 Joshua Jackson <tsunam@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > There is a lot of irony in this entire discussion. We are actually
5 > talking about going against what the heck part of the reason this
6 > project was started. Are we seriously that *can't find the word I'm
7 > looking for* idiotically to not see that we're arguing over not
8 > allowing a user a choice in what they want to do. That we are so high
9 > and mighty that we automatically know what is better for the user then
10 > they themselves know? Who defined us as the ones to make that choice
11 > for someone else, when we are supposedly about allowing choice.
12 >
13 > That is the issue at hand at the core of this. Its called choice.
14 > People can choose to use a separate program to download the sunrise
15 > overlays. That separates it entirely from the core tree itself. A
16 > disclaimer for checking out could be added that is prominent that will
17 > warn that these are a service provided to the community from the
18 > community. That those who have gone through the "developer mentorship"
19 > will continue to work on the core of the heart of gentoo, allowing us
20 > to focus and make the product so much better and quicker that you'll
21 > be blindsided with the new improved product. We'll have a rebirth so
22 > to speak.
23 >
24 > Bloody, I mean seriously...think about what it is we are arguing over,
25 > and then remember what gentoo is, why you came to it in the first
26 > place. That will probably tell you where it should go.
27
28 Speaking as a user of Gentoo in general, and as a small contributor to
29 Sunrise, I don't think your argument about "choice" really is relevant.
30 Since Gentoo is licensed under the GPL-2, end users can always choose
31 to do whatever the heck they want. They can make their own overlays,
32 patch packages to no tomorrow, and use whatever packages they wish on
33 their system.
34
35 As I understand it, the real goal is to let users get a taste of what
36 ebuild development is supposed to be like, and to give them a lot of
37 guidance and a chance to get their draft work peer reviewed. This is
38 something they could always /choose/ to do, either by visiting the
39 #gentoo-dev-help channel on freenode, posting a new ebuild on bugzilla,
40 the forums, etc. The Sunrise project is just trying to focus entirely
41 on ebuilds, while most of the above have other primary focuses.
42
43 I /think/ the issues some folks are taking with the project are:
44
45 * It's dangerous to have this sort of thing "officially" affiliated
46 with Gentoo because it has the potential to cause unforeseen
47 breakage. For example, an ebuild in the tree may have a flag
48 for ./configure which wasn't explicitly disabled but which will now
49 auto-set itself on when a certain package from Sunrise was
50 installed. This /could/ cause some breakage which is very difficult
51 for someone trying to help a user submitting a bug to recreate, and
52 create some wasted time and general frustration on both sides. In
53 general, many wish to change the image of Gentoo being the "ricer"
54 OS, and in some ways this project has that sort of air about it.
55
56 * The design of the project, people involved, whatever, isn't
57 conducive to it achieving its desired goal (helping train users in
58 proper ebuild development). I think the point about not having
59 involvement from the relevant herds or arch teams is related to this
60 as well.I don't have enough experience to judge this point at all.
61
62 Speaking just as myself, I think that, if I were to choose to use some
63 ebuild from Sunrise other than the one I wrote myself, I would be
64 careful and wouldn't scream to hard if something broke. I don't know
65 what others would do. I think that the project does have some merit and
66 seeks to achieve a worthy goal. I don't know, however, if it is the
67 best option available, or the best execution.
70 Mike Kelly