From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, "Jeter, Jeff" <gsfgf@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo/BSD
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:33:38
1 >In the forums we've been discussing the possibility of gentoo/BSD. I've undertaken the project and
2 >have gotten portage installed on FreeBSD 5. I can emerge rsync and have gotten sandbox installed.
3 >i still have plenty of stuff to work out before i can actually build anything but it looks promising.
4 >
5 >--
6 You aren't really talking about Gentoo/BSD, you are talking about a portable portage running on BSD, these are very different things.
7
8 Gentoo/BSD is a much more difficult venture, in involves porting the bsd libc and userland to a linux kernel, or pulling all their userland out of their CVS tree, packaging it to coorespond with the gnu packages and making them all (kernel, userland, and libc) installable by portage, then maintaining the ebuilds from their CVS (including any gentoo specific patches)..
9
10 the former is a great idea, i'd love to run portage on all *nix that i have to use that isn't linux (especially solaris), the latter is very difficult and would require a pretty skilled team and cooperation from the bsd guys (not needed but really really helpful).
11
12 I'm going to ask that this thread *NOT* get out of control, lots of people feel very strongly toward linux and bsd and I don't care to witness a flame-for-all while trying to sift through useful mails..
16 Joshua Brindle
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list