From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] installation
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:38:31
1 On Wednesday 10 April 2002 17:27, Carter, Raymond D. wrote:
2 > I do not have broadband access to the machine where I would like to install
3 > GENTOO, although I do have access elsewhere. Is it reasonable to attemp to
4 > download packages I would be interested in and put them on CD's to use on
5 > the subject machine?
6
7 No problem with that. Just download them somewhere else and copy them over to
8 the machine into the "/usr/portage/distfiles" directory. You could even use
9 "emerge --buildpkg" on another machine to build binary packages for another
10 machine. Stick them into "/usr/portage/packages/All" and use --usepkg on
11 emerging. (Dunno if thats the syntax with new portage I'm still on rc6 but as
12 you have unix experience you should be able to figure that out :))
13
14 Alex