From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 22:05:26
1 On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 08:23:31PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:18:04 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > Not sure I'm following, but I will be the first to admit that I'm a
5 > > > git novice. Would this be aided by a convention, like only
6 > > > committing to master on the gentoo official repository, and any
7 > > > on-the-side work on places like github/etc stays in branches?
8 > > > Those repositories would just keep getting fed commits on master
9 > > > from the official repository.
10 > >
11 > > Iagree with this; I think we should ban merge commits on master. That
12 > > would force everyone to rebase their work on current master before
13 > > they commit to master which would make the history clean.
14 >
15 > So what's the point of switching to git if you want to ban the main
16 > reason git exists?
17
18 To clarify: we should only allow fast-forward merges on master.
19
20 My big complaint about merge commits is if you do a git show <hash> on
21 a merge commit, you get nothing, so there is no way to see what actually
22 changed in that commit.
23
24 William