From: Matt Thrailkill <xwred1@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Releng
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:23:37
1 I just read the Release Engineering document on the front page of
2 gentoo.org and I am very pleased. Everyone involved, I applaud you all
3 - this looks like an excellent process to add to Gentoo and it looks to
4 be incorporating many of the things I've enjoyed from the FreeBSD
5 project.
6
7 In the past, devs have bulked at making actual version releases, saying
8 that people should just emerge sync and they'll be at the latest 1.4 or
9 what have you. Maybe they were afraid of falling into the pit of
10 molasses that Debian seems to be perpetually trapped in. The scheme of
11 4 mandatory releases per year looks like an excellent compromise,
12 provided QA is still there. So you'll still have fresh releases with
13 decent QA to boot.
14
15 A couple things:
16 Versions named by year? Thats always been a pet peeve I had with other
17 programs... is this now set in stone for Gentoo?
18
19 Are prior versions going to be kept available on rsync mirrors, similar
20 to how one might leave a FreeBSD box cvsup'ing against RELENG_4_8 rather
21 than -CURRENT or -STABLE? Furthermore, if prior versions would be left
22 up on the mirrors, how practical would it be to maybe have the GLSA
23 people backporting the GLSAs? The BSDs do this, but obviously you can't
24 keep it up for ever... the OpenBSD people only do it for the last 2
25 versions + the current one, don't know where the FreeBSD people draw the
26 line.
27
28 Again though, Kudos. I'm feeling some renewed enthusiasm for Gentoo
29 stirring in me now.
33 (If this was already discussed in the list, forgive my lameness because
34 I missed it)
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list