From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: News item format 2.0
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 21:44:19
1 On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 16:03:55 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >> The problem with any visibility filtering is that visibility
5 > >> depends on user configuration [1], and I don't know what changes in
6 > >> the package manager would be necessary to make this work correctly
7 > >> and efficiently. For example, how does portage's --autounmask-write
8 > >> option interact with it?
9 >
10 > > Leave solving this to Portage developers. Autounmasking is not
11 > > something you do often on stable systems, and we have better QA to
12 > > avoid issues that could require it.
13 >
14 > Yeah, if I wasn't sure about Display-If-Visible, then this statement
15 > would finally convince me that we should skip that feature, for the
16 > time being. That something does not happen often is no excuse for not
17 > having an implementation that can handle such rare cases.
18
19 Implementation != specification. I'm not saying the implementation
20 shouldn't handle them.
21
22 It's also nice how you stripped the more important part of my answer.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny
27 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>