From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 01:00:02
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > > > That'd mean I need half a dozen checkouts just to emulate cvs, which
3 > > > somehow doesn't make much sense to me ...
4 > >
5 > > Unlike CVS, git doesn't force you to work in "Keep millions of files in
6 > > uncommitted states" mode just to work on a codebase, due to the commit <->
7 > > replicate seperation.
8 >
9 > But that's the feature!
10
11 You can have millions of uncommitted files with git too. The person
12 who creates a commit always decides what changes in what files should
13 be included in that commit. (You don't even have to commit all the
14 changes within one file at the same time.)
15
16 There are some shortcuts for committing all uncommitted changes at
17 once but you don't have to do that. I frequently only commit little
18 bits of my currently uncommitted changes.
21 > I can work on bumping postgresql (takes about 1h walltime to compile and test
22 > all versions) *and* work on a few tiny python packages while doing that.
23 > Without breaking either process. Without multiple checkouts.
24
25 Same with git.
28 //Peter