From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] paper on oss-qm project
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 20:26:53
1 * Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > interesting concept. i'd like to comment on a few details:
6 >
7 > - licensing seems not be addressed, yet.
8 > licensing can kill everything, it needs consideration.
9
10 what problems do you see w/ licensing ?
11
12 IMHO, each branch simply has to follow the upstream's license.
13
14 > - branch and tag namespaces as currently defined have a few problems:
15 >
16 > - versioning:
17 >
18 > - the A.B.C.D scheme won't be fun to gentoo, both
19 > due to no-letters-in-here and because of no-pre-releases.
20 > while at that keeping pre-releases does not seem helpful to me.
21
22 simply normalize: don't use letters but numbers. and I actually don't
23 see any need for pre-releases:
24
25 a) it' an real release - then it has to fit into the (linear)
26 versioning scheme
27 b) it's not really a release but just a development snapshot -
28 that doesnt belong into the main oss-qm repository
29
30 > - vendor concept:
31 >
32 > - uppercase vendor names look rather odd, especially with project
33 > names in lowercase.
34 >
35 > - having the vendor first makes no sense to me.
36 > a "package.vendor.subbranch" keeps all zlibs together,
37 > instead of all gentoo stuff. if the project is about
38 > packages, that makes more sense to me.
39
40 I've chosen that scheme to make the borders more clear (also for
41 automatic filtering, etc). In my concept, the vendor is the major
42 point of distinction, package comes at second, ...
43
44 > - renaming the concept to "downstream" would make it
45 > fit better. gentoo is not a vendor to me.
46
47 Well, the term vendor here is defined as a party which provides
48 packages in certain variants. "UPSTREAM" is a kind of meta vendor,
49 describing the upstreams. "Vendor" is IMHO more generic, since there
50 may be vendors who aren't actually a real distro. For example, I
51 myself don't publish a complete distro, but a foundation for clean
52 building especially for special embedded devices or appliances.
53
54 > - with one git repo used for many packages people
55 > will need to know how to clone single branches only.
56 > most git users probably won't, you will need to teach them.
57 > the PDF seems a good place to do that.
58
59 Yes, that's still an open topic. I've chosen to use one big repo
60 for easier maintenance, but I'm aware of the problem that the
61 repo might become very fat some day. I see two options:
62
63 a) split it off into several ones, eg. on per-package basis
64 and create a system for (semi-)automatic mass-repo maintenance
65 (not completely trivial when using free git hosters as mirrors)
66
67 b) add an selective filtering system. AFIAK current stable git
68 doesnt provide that yet - I've added an little patch for that:
69 http://repo.or.cz/w/oss-qm-packages.git/shortlog/refs/heads/METUX.git.master
72 cu
73 --
75 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
77 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
78 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
79 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
80 http://patches.metux.de/