From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how long does it take portage to parse an ebuild?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:55:51
1 On Tuesday 28 October 2003 2:44 pm, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Is there a way to determine how long it takes 'emerge' to parse an ebuild
3 > and figure out what packages it is dependent on according to USE flags? I
4 > wrote a Perl program that does this and it takes 0.049 seconds to parse
5 > '/usr/portagemedia-video/mplayer/mplayer-1.0_pre2.ebuild' and tell me what
6 > the dependencies are with the current USE flags. I want to compare it to
7 > how fast Portage does this on my particular setup to get an acurate
8 > comparison.
9
10 How about 'time emerge -p <package>'?
11
12 As an aside, the strace output of running an emerge or an ebuild makes
13 interesting reading.
14
15 Best regards,
16 Stu
17 --
18 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
19 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
20 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
21 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
22
23 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
24 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C