From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Remove .lzma in favor of .xz portage snapshots
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:34:09
Hello all, This email is to solicit concerns or thoughts about removing
 the .lzma portage snapshots.

 The facts:
 - Starting on 2011-03-03, I enabled .xz compression on snapshots that
 Gentoo makes available[1].
 - On 2011-01-05, Mike added[2] .xz support to emerge-webrsync.
 - xz-utils is now in the system set[3] anyway and .xz instead of .lzma
 should eliminate some confusion for new users.

 That is about all I can think of. My opinion is that this is mostly a
 cosmetic change (as lzma is generated via xz-utils anyway) but makes
 sense given the popular[4] compression choices. I'd like to target
 2011-04-01 as the date to turn off lzma generation. After generation is
 turned off, the lzma archives will fall off the mirrors in 7 days. Any

 [4]: Without known data to back this up, I'm using the short options of
 tar(1) to form some opinion as presented by the community.