From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] I've Got Root Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Good Work, Lads!
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:18:10
1 Stroller wrote:
2 > If there really are folks out there reading mail from their root account (I
3 > mean, _is this possible?_), surely we need to be educating them better..?
4 >
5 > Maybe the NEED for a regular user should be spelled out more explicitly in
6 > the Gentoo installation documents. I see now that the subject is rather
7 > brushed over by a single line containing a link the the FAQ & the question
8 > "Everyone seems to think that i shouldn't be using root for everyday use,
9 > how can i add another user?"
10 >
11 > Maybe superadduser should be part of the base stages installation..?
12
13 I agree. A friend of mine who was new to Gentoo was running everything
14 as root initially and on my recommendation he is now running as normal
15 user. Superadduser is a wonderful tool. If installation docs could
16 emphasise the fact that at the end of the process users should use it to
17 create a new user then not only will users not run as root but also
18 questions such as 'why did useradd not create a home dir' be avoided.
19 Alternatively, the proper usage of useradd can be demonstrated.
20
21 If one feels that such content is unsuitable for installation docs
22 perhaps a guide called 'Introduction to Basic Linux Usage' can be
23 produced with a Gentoo perspective and I'd certainly be willing to help
24 in producing it.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list