From: johnm@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:14:54
1 My personal opinion here is that a _LOT_ of this should be common sense.
2 But just to put in my two pennies..
3
4 On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 05:22:17PM -0500, Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
5 > * The QA team's purpose is to provide cross-herd assistance in keeping
6 > the tree in a good state. This is done primarily by finding and pointing
7 > out issues to maintainers and, where necessary, taking direct action.
8
9 Please clarify "neccessary". I don't want to see repeat occurances of
10 non-issues bogging down real work. Also, please define around this a
11 clear and documented policy so when its enforced, its well defended.
12
13 > * The QA team may also offer to fix obvious typos and similar minor
14 > issues, and silence from the package maintainers can be taken as agreement in
15 > such situations.
16
17 I have no objections, on the understanding that there is a definitive
18 understanding of whats being changed and legitimate things aren't
19 accidentally replaced.
20
21 > * In case of emergency, or if package maintainers refuse to cooperate,
22 > the QA team may take action themselves to fix the problem.
23
24 This is part and parcel of your first point and should be included as
25 part of that. ie: definition of neccessary and surrounding policy.
26
27 > * In the event that a developer still insists that a package does not
28 > break QA standards, an appeal can be made at the next council meeting. The
29 > package should be dealt with per QA's request until such a time that a
30 > decision is made by the council.
31
32 as above.
33
34 > * In the case of disagreement on policy among QA members, the majority
35 > of established QA members must agree with the action.
36
37 Perhaps pushing it to an open forum on -dev/-core for consensus works
38 better here?
39
40 > * Just because a particular QA violation has yet to cause an issue does
41 > not change the fact that it is still a QA violation.
42
43 Is this a statement or a policy? I assume that if this is policy the
44 non-visible issue would go about appropriate scrutany, and in turn a
45 long-term solution made in the situation where it is not easily
46 resolvable/avoidable.
47
48 > * If a particular developer persistently causes breakage, the QA team
49 > may request that devrel re-evaluates that developer's commit rights.
50 > Evidence of past breakages will be presented with this request to
51 > devrel.
52
53 This is the case at the moment anyways isn't it? And this shouldn't be
54 in a QA capacity but as a herd or individual. Perhaps this is better
55 suited in a different proposal?
56
57 > * The QA team will maintain a list of current "QA Standards". The list
58 > is not meant by any means to be a comprehensive document, but rather a
59 > dynamic document that will be updated as new problems are discovered.
62 Can I suggest that such a document is also refered to by the policy
63 surrounding a violations resolution. Especially when considering a
64 violation which is not documented (and therefore can be fairly unknown)
65 so that violations not listed might be treated with more tact.
66
67 Thanks for presenting this to the list.
68 - John
71 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
72 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
73 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
74 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515