From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:31:31
1 Matt Turner wrote:
2 > > I think many mails in this thread suffer from some tunnel vision, expecting
3 > > that a libressl ebuild in the tree must continue to work exactly like the
4 > > openssl ebuild - I'm saying to stop that but do keep a libressl ebuild.
5
6 To clarify, by "stop that" I mean "stop efforts to make libressl a
7 drop-in replacement".
10 > If they suffer from tunnel vision, it's because the intersection of
11 > "people who care about libressl" and "people who have patches in
12 > gentoo.git" is the empty set.
13
14 Tunnel vision refered not to people but what a libressl ebuild delivers,
15 which you seems to have turned into an ad hominem against me?
16
17 Who will do actual work is a separate question, of course if noone wants
18 to then nothing matters, but it seems that some people /do/ care about
19 libressl; I suppose the 61 patches mgorny found were committed by someone.
20
21 If you were somehow trying to belittle /me/ then it's certainly true that
22 I'm not a Gentoo developer, but there are some patches by me in gentoo.git.
25 > I think we all understand your points: libressl could be kept in-tree
26 > and allow people to play with it. Unfortunately that requires much
27 > more work than removing it, and I haven't seen evidence that you're
28 > prepared to contribute to the required effort.
29 >
30 > I don't think you're going to convince a bunch of people with little
31 > interest in libressl per se to continue allowing the extra burden
32 > unless you do the work that's needed to keep it in-tree (e.g., to
33 > allow it to be installed beside openssl).
34
35 You seem to not understand my point at all.
36
37 As I've written I (like others) argue against "continue allowing extra burden"
38 and I've suggested and offered to help with one approach to keep a libressl
39 ebuild in the tree.
42 //Peter