From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 07:48:23
1 On 03/25/2018 02:02 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 21:43:41 -0700
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> But if the majority demographic is as you describe, then they shouldn't
6 >> be using anything having dependencies that require package.unmask or **
7 >> keywords changes.
8 >
9 > Again, they *dont*, the problem is portage makes the mistake of
10 > thinking they do.
11 >
12 > This happens especially around virtuals where there is an existing
13 > problem of portage not doing the right thing when perl-core/* exists in
14 > some definition.
15 >
16 > I don't have details on hand to give you as to how this happens,
17 > but I've seen this happen often enough around packages *I maintain* and
18 > *I* can't explain why portage is trying to install it, only that
19 > --auto-unmask-keep-masks=y makes the problem mysteriously go away.
20
21 An issue like that involving REQUIRED_USE has been reported, and today
22 I've created a patch that corrects the problem:
23
24 https://bugs.gentoo.org/622462
25
26 > The question for me is not "auto unmask is good" vs "autounmask is
27 > bad", autounmask is fine on its own and is very useful.
28 >
29 > Its the default of --autounmask-keep-masks=n that I find short on value.
30 >
31 > If anything, I suggest there needs to be an
32 > --autounmask-keep-masks=conditional, or something, that narrows the
33 > range of solutions portage will try and only attempt to unmask ** or
34 > package.mask in the following conditions:
35 >
36 > - An explicitly masked package/version is explicitly requested on the command line.
37 > - A package is a direct dependency of of the above
38 > - As above, but for the world file
39 >
40 > That is, assume the only reason for masked packages to be considered is:
41 > - The user in some way directly requested them
42 > - A logical consequence of the user directly requesting a masked package
43
44 It's possible that bug 622462 is not the only way to trigger this
45 problem. If anyone experiences a problem like this, then a bug report
46 would be appreciated.
47 --
48 Thanks,
49 Zac