From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:01:57
1 On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 19:55 -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > In my humble opinion, Gentoo is missing too many points to be an
6 > enterprise Linux. We commit to a live tree. We don't have true QA,
7 > testing or tinderbox. We don't have paid staff, alpha/beta/rc cycles.
8 > We don't really have product lifecycles, since we don't generally
9 > backport fixes to older versions, requiring instead for people to
10 > update to a more recent release. We don't have, and probably will
11 > never be able to offer, support contracts. We support as wide a range
12 > of hardware as the upstream kernel, plus hardware that requires
13 > external drivers; we don't have access to a great deal of the hardware
14 > for which we provide drivers. We understand when real life gets in
15 > the way of bug-fixing, because all our developers are volunteers.
16
17 I tend to agree with most of those problems you mention. I've tried to
18 think of ways to make Gentoo fit more into an enterprise market ... its
19 not that easy.
20
21 * We'd need a tree that isn't 'live' per say, something that has a
22 lifecycle and only includes security/criticial software bug updates
23 * We'd need a full staffed QA/testing/tenderbox crew to do make it
24 truely 'stable'
25 * We'd need to have a better way to backport fixes
26 * We could never probably offer support contracts, but that doesn't mean
27 someone in the private world could do it.
28 * Access to drivers/hardware would be a major problem that would be hard
29 to solve without corporate funding.
30
31 > I think that attempting to take Gentoo in the "enterprise" direction
32 > is a mistake. I think that we are a hobbyist distribution. This
33 > doesn't mean that we should not strive to meet some of the enterprise
34 > goals. Those things can be important to hobbyists too. But I don't
35 > think we should be aiming for corporate America.
36
37 I'd say as a global goal, yes I'd agree with you. Gentoo as a global
38 entity should stay where its at, but that doesn't mean a subset of
39 Gentoo could have a goal towards being enterprise. I don't really see
40 Gentoo has a hobbyist distribution as a whole. I know a majority of our
41 folks use Gentoo as a development OS which is great and it works
42 perfectly for that, but I can see Gentoo working into a more enterprise
43 environment with some work. I know several folks that run Gentoo in a
44 production server environment and it runs well! Doesn't mean its easy to
45 maintain, but it is doable and I see some very benifical situations
46 where Gentoo would work best in production systems.
47
48 > I don't even understand why that goal appeals to people. Let other
49 > distros go there! I want Gentoo to run in people's homes, in student
50 > dorm rooms, etc. Places where people want a fun distribution that
51 > they can tailor and work on easily.
52
53 I envision the 'server/enterprise' project to help create numerous tools
54 that help aide Gentoo in a production environment. There's a lot of cool
55 stuff we could do to help make it run better in that type of
56 environment.
57
58 > Also I find it amusing when people say that Gentoo exists for the
59 > users. I think that is wrong. Gentoo exists for the *developers*.
60 > It's our playground, and it's the reason we use a live tree rather
61 > than switching to an actually sane approach. The users are cool
62 > because they point out bugs, help solve problems on bugzilla, suggest
63 > enhancements, provide patches, and notify us of package updates.
64 > Sometimes they become developers. But the truth is that Gentoo sees
65 > improvement and maintenance in the areas that appeal to the
66 > developers. And that is why Gentoo exists for the developers first,
67 > the users second.
68
69 I see your point there, but I also think theres a group of people that
70 also like gentoo in the enterprise realm. I remember at the last LWE
71 show in San Francisco, there were numerous people asking about Gentoo
72 and making it more 'stable'. This would really be tied to an enterprise
73 level of Gentoo. So I know there is interest out there. We all have
74 opinions on were Gentoo should fit in, so I don't see why we couldn't
75 fit there.
76
77 To sum it up, to make Gentoo better in the enterprise isn't a bad goal
78 for some of us. It'd be a bad goal for Gentoo globally though. Take a
79 look at the hardened project for example. They've shown a good userbase
80 that likes how it works and the tools with it. I for see something
81 simliar happening to an enterprise sub-project (or whatever you'd call
82 it). Heck, maybe this idea would be better fit as a fork, who knows.
83 Would be neat to have a group of people working on this and helping
84 Gentoo if they find bugs in the process and fix them!
85
86 Anyways, you made some great points on where we fall, but I don't think
87 we should shoot down the idea or potential because some of us don't
88 think it'd work.
89
90 Cheers!
93 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
94 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
95
96 ---
97 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
98 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
99
100 ramereth/irc.freenode.net